Face Moisturizer for Men – A Guide to Choosing and Using the Right One
Moisturizing is an essential part of any skincare routine, but it’s especially important to find the right face cream for men. Men’s skin is thicker and oilier than women’s skin, but it can easily become dry and irritated thanks to our daily activities. Moisturizing helps to keep skin hydrated and healthy, and it can also help to prevent wrinkles and other signs of aging. The best face moisturizer for men or face lotion for men is the one that is sutied to your skin type, conditions and one that you like to use consistently.
Benefits of Moisturizing for Men
There are many benefits to moisturizing for men, including:
- Improved skin hydration: Moisturizer helps to trap moisture in the skin, which can help to prevent dryness, flaking, and irritation. Ingredients like Glycerin, Panthenol, Propandiol, Urea, Hyaluronic Acid & many others are excellent for this.
- Reduced wrinkles and fine lines: Moisturizer can help to keep skin looking plump and youthful by reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. When your skin is dry, you are more likely to have wrinkles and fine lines showing.
- Protected skin: Moisturizer can help to protect skin from the free free radicals introduced through UV exposure, pollution and more.
- Softer, smoother skin: Moisturizer can help to make skin feel softer and smoother. Studies have shown that smoother skin makes people appear more trustworthy, so who wouldn’t want that?
- Reduced acne breakouts: Moisturizing can help to regulate oil production, which can help to reduce acne breakouts.This depends on the ingredients, but ingrediets like salicylic acid and Niacinamide can be particularly helpful for this.
How to Choose a Face Lotion for Men
When choosing a face cream for men, it’s important to consider your skin type. If you have oily skin, you’ll want to choose a lightweight moisturizer that won’t clog your pores. These will generally be anything ranging from a gel moisturizer to a light cream one. If you have dry skin, you’ll want to choose a richer moisturizer that will help to hydrate your skin. Ideally you are looking at anything from a light cream to potentially even a heavy balm in this scenario.
Here are some other factors to consider when choosing a moisturizer for men:
- Ingredients: Look for a moisturizer that contains ingredients that are good for your skin type. A no brainer for most all men is Niacinamide and if you can find a product with 4%, that is even better. 4% is the amount that has shown great results in studies.
- Fragrance: If you have sensitive skin, you may want to choose a fragrance-free moisturizer, but just because you have sensitive skin, doesn’t mean you can’t use fragrances. Everyone has different skin and sensitivities.
- Sun protection: If you’re looking for a moisturizer that will also protect your skin from the sun, look for one that contains SPF 30 or higher.Generally speaking, sunscreens are made of similar ingredients to moisturizers and provide a level of moisturizing in their own right. If you have oily skin, you may not need to use much of anything durinmg the day if you are using a sunscreen.
How to Use a Face Moisturizer for Men
To use a moisturizer for men, simply apply it to your face and neck after cleansing. There is no need to glob on large amounts, enough to cover the surface area of your face is typically enough to suffice. Apply the moisturizer in a gentle, circular motion and try not to tug at the eye area..
As for how often you moisturize, that’s up to you. Dry skin folks will tend ot use moisturizer throughout the day, where as oily skin folks may apply a light hydrating serum/moisturizer and be good for the entire day. It also depends on temperature conditions. Best not to overthink this. If you feel dry or dehydrated, top up. Ideally you moisturize immediately following cleansing in the majority of cases.
Ingredients to Look for in a Face Lotion for Men
There are many different ingredients that can be found in men’s moisturizers. Some of the most common ingredients include:
- Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance that helps to attract and retain moisture in the skin. It’s a great ingredient for men of any skin type.
- Glycerin: Glycerin is another humectant that helps to attract and retain moisture in the skin. It’s a good ingredient for all skin types.
- Bisabolol: Men play rough sports, do many outdoor activites and shave our faces. We get our fair share of irritation and so it’s important that we look for ingredients to minimize irritation and soothe our skin.
- Niacinamide: This superstar builds the skin barrier up, regulates oil production and excretion, and brightens the skin. Making it excellent regardless of if you are oily, dry, or anywhere between.Recommendations:
Obviously the Strive Moisturizer is designed to suit the needs of the majority of men, but here are some great alternative face moisturizers that we like and recommend.
If you are very prone to blackheads and acne..
Naturium’s Encapsulated Salicylic Acid Moisturizer is a great one. This uses Salicylic acid to dive into your pores and clear out excess oil.
Very Dry Skin – Try topping off the Miracle Facial Moisturizer at night with Vaseline, Cerave Healing Ointment, or Aquaphor. Often times those with very dry skin simply have barrier disruption and it improves greatly when properly nourished.
Cerave Skin Renewing Night Cream (Not to be confused with CeraVE PM) – This makes a great night time face cream for men.
Very Oily Skin – Even a simple hyaluronic acid serum may suffice for you, but it is more ideal if we can get products with Niacinamide or Salicylic acid in them as well.
Moisturizing is an important part of any skincare routine, and it’s especially important for men. By choosing the right face moisturizer for men and using it properly, you can keep your skin healthy and looking its best.
By following these tips, you can keep your skin looking its best and prevent signs of aging. Stay handsome fellas.
Best Face Washes for Men 2024